Thursday

66, 67, 68. Pop Culture Terms/Slang in the Dictionary

Did you know that supersize is in the dictionary? I sure didn't.

Definition of 'supersize'

Apparently, if you are the corporation that is McDonald's, you can make up words that will become real words.

The first use of the word was apparently in 1994. It was a feature at McDonald's if you wanted way more disgusting fast food than you were already being served. Then came the documentary Supersize Me, which only perpetuated the use of this word. Eventually this term became so popular that now it is used for things other than McDonald's food. For example, you can supersize your efforts, or you can supersize your stomach if you continue to supersize your meals.

Another word that I was surprised to find in the dictionary is bootylicious. This slang term was made popular in 1998, probably by Beyonce/Destiny Child's song Bootylicious. This diva is known for using this term to describe herself, and I can remember a time when everybody used this term (it's a slang word that I am more than glad has gone out of vogue for the most part).

I heard a rumor that muggle made it to the dictionary, and as a nod to my previous entry about Harry Potter, I thought I'd look it up. There were several definitions for muggle, one being that it is slang for marijuana. The definition that caught my attention, however, was the slang from the 1920s meaning a person without skill or a common person. This reminded me very much of how the word is used in the Harry Potter stories and sure enough, there was an added definition from the year 1996: a person without magical powers.

I think it is pretty crazy that these words I have heard as slang terms growing up are starting to be considered real words. These words have stupid or unintelligent connotations (except muggle, anything JK Rowling says is pure genius), so it's difficult for me to comprehend them as having real definitions or uses outside of what they were created for (i.e., supersize outside of McDonald's or bootylicious outside of referring to Beyonce). Maybe some day Fergalicious will replace bootylicious, and Beiber Fever will be an actual medical term.

No comments:

Post a Comment