Tuesday

4,5,6,7. King's Speech

Last night, my boyfriend and I had date night. We decided to go see a movie since it had been a while. My pick was The King’s Speech, considering that was a movie I have been wanting to see for quite some time. In case you are unfamiliar with the plot of the movie, it follows the story of “Bertie,” the man who would become King George VI. Bertie suffered from a stammer, which proved to be a terrible crutch in his “profession.” Bertie’s wife hired Lionel Logue, an unofficial speech therapist who would use somewhat controversial methods to cure the king of his stutter.  

One of the exercises that Lionel had the king do was practice his bilabial sounds. During a montage of the different exercises that Bertie was doing, they would cut to Colin Firth shouting out “Puh! Buh! Muh! Puh! Buh! Muh!” 

The whole movie made me think, though. I have always been impatient with those who stutter. I understood that it was something they couldn't help, but I couldn't understand how someone could have such a hard time speaking. I think part of it was that I was frustrated on their behalf. But while watching this movie, I was heartbroken. It was clear how much emotional pain this man was in, especially since he was supposed to be the voice for an entire country.

I became fascinated with the concept with stuttering and wanted to do some research. I came across a very informative site (www.stutteringhelp.org) that was able to provide some answers to my questions.

Stuttering (or stammering) can be defined as "a communication disorder in which the flow of speech is broken by repetitions, prolongations, or abnormal stoppages of sounds and syllables." There can also be unusual movements in the face or body linked with the attempt to speak.

What causes stuttering? According the the website, there are four main factors that are linked with the development of a stutter. Genetics, child development, neurophysiology, and family dynamics can all contribute to a stutter. Around 60% of stutterers have a family member who also has a stutter, and children who have other speech or development issues are more likely to develop a stutter. It is also thought that people with a stammer process speech and language differently than those who do not. In regards to family dynamics, "high expectations and fast-paced lifestyles can contribute to stuttering." Any combination of these factors can lead to a stutter, but it is probable that what started the stutter is not what propelled it. Apparently, there is no link with emotional or psychological problems and stuttering, and it occurs in four times as many males as females.

It just astounds me that different people's brains process language differently, and that it can result in something as frustrating and stressing as a stutter. I can't imagine not being able to use my voice and express myself, because as the message of the movie said, we all have a voice, and we all deserve to be heard.

Source:
http://www.stutteringhelp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=17

No comments:

Post a Comment